Good Morning Friends,
I pray that your time with Jesus this week was intimate. I hope you found little bits of time here and there to spend with your Maker. Did He show you different weights that He would love to take off your shoulders? Were you reminded of different character traits of God that deepened your love for Him? Remember, we can tackle anything in our life as long as we stay focused on Jesus!
This week we are going to talk about empathy. Specifically, God’s empathy for our struggles. I love the quote by Sally Clarkson. “A mom alone in her home becomes a target.” When we feel alone we can start to believe the lies of…
- “’I’m the only one I know who is not doing well.”
- “No one understands me.”
- “No one has gone through what I have been through.”
- “I’m going through things that are so much harder than anyone else.”
In Hebrews 12:3-4 it says, “Think of all the hostility he endured from sinful people, then you won’t become weary and give up. After all, you have not given your lives in your struggle against sin.”
You may think that no one has been through what you have been through. Your friend or sister might not understand it, but I am confident that I know someone who does. There is one person who has experienced the same things and who fully understands what you are going through. His name is Jesus.
- His family thought He was crazy.
- He was misunderstood.
- He was tempted.
- He was falsely accused by the leaders in His town.
- He was rejected by His church.
- He was denied by his close friend three times.
- He was beaten beyond recognition for His claims.
- His Father had to turn His back on Him.
- He was humiliated publicly.
- He was doubted by one of His close followers.
- He suffered the loss of a friend.
- His heart was broken many, many times.
In short, Jesus can empathize.
Through all of this, He overcame. He did not fall under pressure. He was focused on His Father and had the strength to make the right choice. He loved the unlovable and continued on His path no matter what He faced. Dear Friends, Jesus KNOWS and understands the depth of your pain and the intensity of your trials. He sees your weights and knows how to overcome them. He did it already, and He wants to unlock the secrets to the healing you need. Allow Him to speak truth to it; He has been-there-done-that and knows exactly what you need to get through this!! Nothing we will ever face will be a surprise to Him. “Huh, that’s a new one. I don’t know what to do with that!” will never come out of His mouth. He can empathize with you and so you are never really alone!
Hebrews 2:17-18 (NLT)
Therefore, it was necessary for him to be made in every respect like us, his brothers and sisters, so that he could be our merciful and faithful High Priest before God. Then he could offer a sacrifice that would take away the sins of the people. Since he himself has gone through suffering and testing, he is able to help us when we are being tested.
Hebrews 4:15-16 (NLT)
This High Priest of ours understands our weaknesses, for he faced all of the same testings we do, yet he did not sin. 16 So let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God. There we will receive his mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it most.
I love 1 Timothy 2:5-6
For, there is one God and one Mediator who can reconcile God and humanity—the man Christ Jesus. He gave his life to purchase freedom for everyone.
God has felt it.
God has been there and done that.
Mile 2 Challenge this week:
- Title the next page in your journal: Feelings
- Then on this page, write down the feeling you are having in regards to your current situation(s).
- Then find two scriptures for each feeling. The scriptures can either directly address your feelings, or else they can be verses that remind you that God can empathize with your problems. He is with you! He sees and He understands.